Sugga #443

Die Heimat der Suggas
costin moga
gehört hier zum Inventar
gehört hier zum Inventar
Fahrzeug 1:

Sugga #443

Beitrag von costin moga »

I decided to make a topic about the restoration of Sugga #443, considering it might be interesting and (maybe) usefull for anyone restoring their own vehicle or just thinking about doing it. I'll post it on 2 forums (german and swedish) as I think it is good to be followed by most Sugga owners. It would be nice if other restorations would be made 'public' by depicting the process.

PURCHASE
Car was purchased from UK (Tring) in a poor state, albeit complete (without radios). It was not in working order, having a broken manifold and beeing very rusty as british weather took a toe on it.
I decided to go for and try to put it back on the road, despite the amount of work that layed ahead.
Du hast keine ausreichende Berechtigung, um die Dateianhänge dieses Beitrags anzusehen.
costin moga
gehört hier zum Inventar
gehört hier zum Inventar
Fahrzeug 1:

Sugga #443

PURCHASE
Du hast keine ausreichende Berechtigung, um die Dateianhänge dieses Beitrags anzusehen.
costin moga
gehört hier zum Inventar
gehört hier zum Inventar
Fahrzeug 1:

Sugga #443

BRAKING APART

Braking apart is a funny job - it goes fast, and curiosity gets rewarded.

Organising is key to success - do not start without bearing a good scheme in mind :

1. SPACE

You will nead at least (and this is absolute minimum) 4 times the space of the vehicle (10 x 6 meters). Minimum !

2. TOOLS

Besides the usual keys/spanners (I suggest buy a new set for the job) there are two tools without nothing is possible:

- a hoist capable to lift the body off the chassis high enough to take it out

- an IMPACT SCREWDRIVER (do not start without it, it will be needed in minute one)

3.STORAGE BOXES

Get as many as you can and store and labell everything you take off the vehicle. Prior that take many pictures from different angles of all parts before removal, otherwise you'll end up asking for those to fellow Sugga owners. Even if these look normal on the vehicle, you'll forget in a couple of days where they go.

Store in boxes all screws you take out beside the parts - when you'll buy new ones, you'll know number, type, length and where they go.

4. MAN POWER / TIME

It will take about 5 days / 4 men to brake it apart (considerind one's only job is to take pictures and labell/store everything).

Chassis can be carried by 4 men. Body require more.
costin moga
gehört hier zum Inventar
gehört hier zum Inventar
Fahrzeug 1:

Re: Sugga #443

Here you have a view of the storage space needed.
costin moga
gehört hier zum Inventar
gehört hier zum Inventar
Fahrzeug 1:

RUST

This is to show what one can expect in terms of rust and dirt after 50+ years of vehicle life.

Unless dry stored.
costin moga
gehört hier zum Inventar
gehört hier zum Inventar
Fahrzeug 1:

Chassis - this is how it looked like....
costin moga
gehört hier zum Inventar
gehört hier zum Inventar
Fahrzeug 1:

SANDBLASTING

Sandblasting is a tricky operation. It has to be done paciently. Or with dry-ice.

Do it with sand, hurry, and heat exhausted due to friction sand/nozzle will deform all thin metal sheet. Nio problem with chassis or other solid parts, though.

So it either has to be done keeping the nozzle further away from metal sheet (resulting in a long lasting job) or use dry-ice and get it done faster.

I'll start by attaching images of Sugga parts packed in a van for transportation.

It's called TETRIS-3D.
costin moga
gehört hier zum Inventar
gehört hier zum Inventar
Fahrzeug 1:

SANDBLASTING - PARTS

Check the doors outer faces - this is result of hurrying. In my case these had to be replaced anyway as beeing very rusty.
costin moga
gehört hier zum Inventar
gehört hier zum Inventar
Fahrzeug 1:

SANDBLASTING - PARTS
costin moga
gehört hier zum Inventar
gehört hier zum Inventar
Fahrzeug 1:

SANDBLASTING

THE TEABAG

It poped out (as expected I have to say) the Sugga body was in a 'teabag' state.

This is one moment you feel like throwing everything away and go hide somewhere far...

One happy man - the bodyshop owner....
Antworten